Back to top

Get Help Now

If someone's life is in danger, call 911 or your local emergency number.

The National Child Traumatic Stress Network provides information on its website and through its publications as a public service. We cannot respond to specific questions regarding personal situations, appropriate diagnosis or treatment, professional resources available in your area, or otherwise provide any clinical opinions. We understand, however, that people may have arrived at because they are looking for such help, and we have organized a variety of useful resources and websites below. 

Crisis Hotlines

Responding to Disasters, Mass Violence, or Terrorism Events

Seeking Mental Health Guidance and Referrals

If you believe you or a family member might benefit from the services of a mental health professional, consider using these resources to locate the services you need:

  • Contact the nearest NCTSN member for a referral. Click here for a list of all NCTSN-affiliated centers by state.
  • Visit SAMHSA's Mental Health Services Locator for information about mental health resources and services.
  • If you are part of an HMO or other managed care insurance plan, your primary care physician (or PCP) can refer you to a specialist or therapist.
  • Contact your insurance company or behavioral health care organization for a list of mental health care providers included in your insurance plan.
  • The American Psychiatric Association offers Find a Psychiatrist to identify psychiatrists in your area 
  • Contact the psychiatry or psychology department at a teaching hospital or medical school in your community.
  • The National Association of Social Workers operates a Register of Clinical Social Workers.
  • For a list of psychologists in your area, contact the American Psychological Association (APA) at 1-800-964-2000 or access APA's list online.
  • The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) provides a list of pediatricians in your area. Click here to access AAP's "Find a Pediatrician" referral service.
  • Mental Health America (MHA). Offers links to local affiliates around the country and their resources for finding treatment.
  • American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) offers for general information for families on their website, and their Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist Finder.

Finding Help for Abused or Neglected Children

Anyone can report suspected child abuse or neglect. Reporting abuse or neglect can protect a child and get help for a family. It may even save a child's life.

Finding Help for Sexually Abused Children

To find out more about organizations in your area that may provide trauma-focused therapy for childhood sexual abuse and are part of the NCTSN, visit our Network Members page.

If there are no NCTSN Partner Centers in your area, it may be useful to ask providers in your local area the following questions to determine if they offer trauma-focused therapy:

  • Do you have experience in treating sexually abused children and their families?
  • Do you offer treatments for sexually abused children that have been studied and have been demonstrated to be effective?
  • Are you familiar with and have you used trauma-focused therapy with sexually abused children?

The NCTSN publication Caring for Kids: What Parents Need to Know about Sexual Abuse provides parents and caregivers with tools to help them support children who have been victims of sexual abuse, information on the importance of talking to children and youth about body safety, and guidance on how to respond when children disclose sexual abuse. Also included is advice on how to cope with the shock of intrafamilial abuse and with the emotional impact of legal involvement in sexual abuse cases. 

Victim Assistance and Compensation Programs

The U.S. Office for Victims of Crime lists state agencies throughout the country that have established programs to help crime victims in the recovery process. These programs provide access to services, support, and information. They also coordinate compensation programs that reimburse crime victims. Victims of rape, assault, child sexual abuse, drunk driving, and domestic violence, as well as the families of homicide victims, are all eligible to apply for financial help.

NCTSN Contacts and Technical Assistance