Training and Education
The National Child Traumatic Stress Network is dedicated to providing state-of-the-art training to enhance the quality of clinical assessment, treatment, and services for traumatized children, adolescents, their families, and communities. To that end, the Network offers a variety of in-person and online (live and on-demand) training opportunities.
This page describes those efforts and provides links to more in-depth information on Network training activities.
- In-Person Training
- Online Training
- Other Online Trainings
- Educational and Training Products
Learning Collaboratives (LCs) and Learning Communities (LComs) allow for in-depth training in a trauma intervention, process, or practice. Teams of learners work together and with experienced faculty over a period of months to create change within their organizations.
- More about Learning Collaboratives and Learning Communities
- Current, upcoming, and past LCs and LComs
- The NCTSN Learning Center for Child and Adolescent Trauma offers free live and on-demand mulitmedia presentations, including year-long courses and one-off Webinars. Continuing education credits (CEs) are available.
- The training archive houses audio presentations on a number of empirically-supported treatments developed by Network centers.
- The Mediasite training catalog includes training sessions on interventions, NCTSN products, and data and evaluation methodologies.
- The National Center for PTSD offers free in-depth trainings covering trauma and PTSD assessment and effective treatment.
- TF-CBT Web is a free web-based training course for learning Trauma-Focused Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, an evidence-based treatment for traumatic stress. The site was developed by the following NCTSN member sites: National Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center of the Medical University of South Carolina, the Center for Traumatic Stress for Children and Adolescents at Allegheny General Hospital, and the Child Abuse Research Education and Service (CARES) Institute at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey's School of Osteopathic Medicine.
We offer video and print products for professionals in a variety of child-serving systems.
- Children of War: A Video for Educators (2005)
- Cops, Kids, and Domestic Violence (2006)
- The Courage to Remember: Training Video on Childhood Traumatic Grief (2005)
- The Promise of Trauma-Focused Therapy for Child Sexual Abuse (2007)
- Caring for Children Who Have Experienced Trauma: A Workshop for Resource Parents (2010)
- Child Trauma Toolkit for Educators (2008)
- Child Welfare Trauma Training Toolkit (2008)
- Understanding the Links between Adolescent Trauma and Substance Abuse: A Toolkit for Professionals(2008)
Check our Events Calendar for public conferences, meetings, and training sessions on child traumatic stress and related issues. The listings include both NCTSN-sponsored events and sessions offered by other organizations.
Comments? Questions? We have answers!