A PsychInfo literature search (7/05) of "Pediatric Emotional Distress Scale" or “PEDS”
anywhere revealed that the measure has been referenced in 10 peer-reviewed journal
articles. Two additional references were identified while conducting the review. A sampling
of these articles is included below.
1. Drotar, D., Flannery, D., Day, E., Friedman, S., Creeden, R., Gartland, H., et al. (2003).
Identifying and responding to the mental health service needs of children who have
experienced violence: A community-based approach. Clinical Child Psychology &
Psychiatry, 8(2), 187-203.
2. Feeny, N. C., Foa, E. B., Treadwell, K. R. H., & March, J. (2004). Posttraumatic stress
disorder in youth: A critical review of the cognitive and behavioral treatment outcome
literature. Professional Psychology: Research & Practice, 35(5), 466-476.
3. Ohan, J. L., Myers, K., & Collett, B. R. (2002). Ten-year review of rating scales. IV:
Scales assessing trauma and its effects. Journal of the American Academy of Child &
Adolescent Psychiatry, 41(12), 1401-1422.
4. Page, T. F., & Nooe, R. M. (1999). Relationships between psychosocial risks and stress
in homeless children. Journal of Social Distress & the Homeless, 8(4), 255-267.
5. Saylor, C. F., Cowart, B. L., Lipovsky, J. A., Jackson, C., & Finch, A. J. J. (2003). Media
exposure to September 11: Elementary school students' experiences and posttraumatic
symptoms. American Behavioral Scientist, 46(12), 1622-1642.
6. Saylor, C. F., Swenson, C. C., Reynolds, S. S., & Taylor, M. (1999). The pediatric
emotional distress scale: A brief screening measure for young children exposed to traumatic
events. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 28(1), 70-81.
7. Stokes, S., Saylor, C. F., Swenson, C. C., & Daugherty, T. (1995). Comparison of
children’s behaviors following three types of stressors. Child Psychiatry and Human
Development, 26, 113-123.
8. Strand, V. C., Sarmiento, T. L., & Pasquale, L. E. (2005). Assessment and screening
tools for trauma in children and adolescents: A review. Trauma, Violence, & Abuse, 6(1), 55-
9. Swenson, C. C., Brown, E. J., & Sheidow, A. (2003). Medical, legal, and mental health
service utilization by physically abused children and their caregivers. Child Maltreatment:
Journal of the American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children, 8(2), 138-144.
10. Swenson, C. C., Saylor, C. F., Powell, M. P., Stokes, S. J., Foster, K. Y., & Belter, R.
W. (1996). Impact of a natural disaster on preschool children: Adjustment 14 months after a
hurricane. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 66(1), 122-130.